How do commit someone for alcohol and drug treatment?

My mother is an alcoholic and drug user. She needs to be committed to a treatment center but she will not budge. Last week she slit her wrists and went to the emergency room (50 stitches) but they permit her go. I did not know until afterward that she have done this. How can I have her committed if she won't stir on her own? If she attemps suicide again, can I have her committed? Thanks.

If you are surrounded by the United States, check with (national association on mental illness). They enjoy a lot of counsel for families trying to commit or communicate a family branch into treatment. I think the wheedle approach is widely viewed as self more effective than the confrontational approach, which is pushed because it is dramatic on TV. If you commit your mom and can't collaborate her into treatment, she may never forgive you, so be prepared for that. If my husband ever committed me for suicide attempts (I have bipolar really unpromising, and the drugs don't help me much) I probably wouldn't ever forgive him. It's resembling a rape to get treated against your will. Soooooooooo you may enjoy to do it, sometimes you really have to, but don't expect any gratitude for it. You will enjoy to comfort yourself with the reality you may have save her life. They own a lot of info for you, and local chapter you can contact. Good luck!! Drug and alcohol abuse can be self medication for underlying depression/bipolar.
Go to your local court house.
It is subsequent to impossible to commit an adult. Tell your Dr. that she is a jeopardy to herself and others.
It may depend on the state you live in - the law vary I would surmise -- It is VERY strange to me that the hospital released her after she hurt herself like that - if (GOD FORBID) she hurts herself again - personnally I would sue the hospital for negligence!! Obviously your mother is awfully troubled and needs lend a hand, I would get more of your loved ones involved in your crusade to abet her, your father, grandparents, sisters, brothers etc.. . .if you know who is supplying her drugs -- I would call the police and report them as drug seller so they get out of her go - If you find alcohol in the house - dump it down the drain, filch pills and knives etc and squirrel away them or lock them up in a lock box.. . put in the picture her you need her to be respectable if not for herself - for you!! Tell her you entail her and that you can help her return with through this hard time, I tried to assassinate myself twice in my lifetime after roughly 10 years I am finally in the clear ( i be having drug problems ) I know how she feel right now and trust me she is not thinking of anyone but herself right very soon - tell her you cannot accept to bury your own mother -- she needs assist no matter how impossible things come across right now. . . .
It is a difficult process to own someone committed, especially if they have be released from the hospital after asuicide attempt. You might want to try an intervention. An addict wont quit until they own to. That is until they can no longer take the consequences of thier use. I aversion to tell you this but sometimes that final straw is loss. Jail,institutions or death.I concluded up in detention centre for possession of drugs for about 3 weeks, the consider ordered me to treatment and had the staff from the treatment center pick me up from court. If you could find a process to get her straight for a few days she may be more quick to respond to getting the help she wants. Jail could save her vivacity.

More Questions and Answers...
  • Opinions plz...?
  • Why do i enjoy to drag you to my release over a penny?
  • I want honest dreams!?